Sunday, March 13, 2011

An Angel Celebration

For the past seven years, the week of March 7-March 13 has always left us with heavy hearts. When someone (who you just absolutely feel you have to have in your life for your heart to continue beating) is suddenly taken away, it just shatters you into fragile pieces. My family has slowly pieced ourselves back together a sweet memory at a time. We still have cracks that will forever remain on our hearts, but we are definitely 7 years stronger! Our precious Erika went to heaven on March 7, 2004. We then celebrated her life(6 days shy of being 27) on March 13, 2004! This is why this has always been a stormy week for my family. I decided that we were going to have some brighter days this week in 2011!

On the 7th, we went to Outback and had a great time with lots of smiles! Erika loved that place!

Then, today we celebrated Erika's 34th Birthday and MiMi & PaPa's 68th wedding anniversary! I just felt that this year we needed to do something different and celebrate these three lovely angels with a little family gathering. Mike & I, Mom, and Jayme put together a little party at my house and it turned out beautifully. It was a special day with special friends....remembering Special loved ones. We had a wonderful time!

Our "E" is for Erika Red Velvet Cupcakes

After the party, Mom, Madden, and I went out to the cemetery to put flowers out. Amy, Erika's close friend, had put some pretty Gerber Daisies(my sisters favorite) on Erika's marker yesterday. So, we just brought flowers for MiMi & PaPa. Going out to the cemetery today was something that made me feel really good.


On the way home, mom told me the story of Erika's birth. She has NEVER shared that with me, so it was super special. Then, a song that was very fitting came on the radio. It was called, "If Heaven Wasn't So Far Away". Isn't it funny when something happens like that just at the right moment? I know our Angels had a hand in that one:) Thanks Erika, MiMi, and PaPa for teaching us what LOVE really is! You three are FOREVER in our hearts! We love you!

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, I am so glad everything went so well with your celebration!

    It speaks volumes about her life that you guys feel moved to celebrate it this way...she was an amazing person (daughter, sister, friend) and I wish I could have gotten to know her better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Ashley,

    The past week your beautiful family was in my every thought......I will never forget Erika and how she touched my life. What a precious angel:)

    Love,

    Kim Fawks

    ReplyDelete